|“||Hang on, everybody – I wanna try something I saw in a Star Wars film once!||„|
|— Reginald Barclay|
During a crisis with the Borg, Geordi La Forge panicked, calling for the police, the National Guard, and the A-Team. Barclay responded, asking if he had been summoned, but Geordi seemed dismayed to see him. Barclay volunteered to "take care of [the] Borg problem", and when Data accepted his offer, Barclay said, "Just call me 'Howling Mad' Murdock!"[b]
After Barclay left the bridge to enact his plan, Captain Jean-Luc Picard entered the room cautiously, asking if the "nerd" had left. Data told him that he had, but he might be "up to no good." Barclay spoke over the loudspeaker, stating that he wished to "try something I saw in a Star Wars film once". He then began shouting things like "UNLIMITED POWER" and "No, no... YOU WILL DIE!" toward the Borg Queen.[c]
Barclay, who was operating from the holodeck, discretely told Worf he could "fire when ready"; he had created a "super cool new super weapon" designed by his "super brain".[d] Worf fired the weapon, but nothing immediately happened. Barclay told them to wait, and shortly after a Gorn ravager vessel entered the system. Picard took the opportunity to have Data get the Enterprise out of the system.
Barclay transported onto the bridge, calling everyone there "plebs." Picard immediately offered to promote him to commander and then captain when he turned him down. He finally offered to use his influence at Starfleet headquarters to get Barclay a promotion to vice admiral, but Barclay again refused. Data asked what he did want, if not a promotion, to which he simply replied, "To go where no one has gone before, only as a super maga[e] freaking awesome godlike being that transcends your feeble plane of existence."
Background and trivia Edit
- Barclay was portrayed by Dwight Schultz in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: First Contact.
Notes and references Edit
- ↑ Broccoli was a nickname given to Barclay by Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- ↑ This is a reference to Dwight Schultz, who portrayed Barclay in Star Trek: The Next Generation and H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock in the A-Team.
- ↑ The lines Barclay speaks are paraphrasing Palpatine from Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
- ↑ This is a reference to the Next Generation episode "The Nth Degree", in which Barclay is given extraordinary intelligence by an alien probe, and he's able to control the Enterprise with his mind from the holodeck.
- ↑ This is a subtle reference to Donald Trump's famous catchphrase, "Make America Great Again!"
- Reginald Barclay at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek wiki
- Reginald Barclay at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki
|v - e - t||USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), Sexy timeline|
|Command crew||Jean-Luc Picard • William T. Riker • Data • Worf • Geordi La Forge • Beverly Crusher • Deanna Troi|
|Duty officers||Reginald Barclay • Miles O'Brien • Nobody|
|Civilians||Keiko Ishikawa • Wesley Crusher^|